JFK. Bill Clinton. John Edwards. Eliot Spitzer. Mark Sanford. The list of famous philanderers is long, like a big men's club. Tiger Woods is the new member. (I know it's not just men - women cheat too - but the traditional women's role as child rearer leaves them more vulnerable, in a sense.) But what is different is that he's an athlete, not a politician. He's where he is because of skill, talent and hard work in a field arguably more competitive than public office. And public officials are, of course, elected and paid by the public.
Tiger Woods never asked to be a role model. I suppose being #1 golfer has placed him there. He craved privacy - his yacht is named Privacy. I was surprised to hear this of him, since he seems to be wholesome. But it also proves that we just don't know people, though they're in the public eye so often. People don't even know themselves. What we've learned in the days since news of infidelity surfacing: Tiger's human.
Everyone is talking about Tiger - but is anyone talking about the women? That's what is interesting to me. As a woman, I expect a LOT of my fellow women.
As alleged mistresses have come out of the woodwork, it's as if each is more scandalous, more fame-seeking than the last. One headline: Tiger got me pregnant.
I doubt it's true. If it were: sweetheart, you've gotten yourself pregnant. It all begins with YOU.
Photo: Chicago Sun-Times
No comments:
Post a Comment