Last night was one of the worst times of the season to be eliminated from American Idol, and the audience eliminated some of the best. It’s befuddling, but also not at all upon a closer look at the audience. The portion of the audience likely to vote is just a slice of the pie. Let’s assume that those who vote do so in numbers larger than one. So essentially, some of America watches Idol. Some of them vote. For the same person. Many times in one night.
Following last night’s picks, I question whether I want to invest my time and energy watching the show. I have voted for Alex at least 30 times this season. I was a fan of Andrew, but after his lukewarm rendition of Genie, I was bored and unimpressed. Tim Urban’s Hallelujah cover was uncomfortable for me. Ellen went out of her way to hug him. I wonder if she regrets it at all, in retrospect. Alex seemed to be one of her favorites, as she praised him regularly each week. One Entertainment Weekly reporter wrote that Ellen was left speechless exiting last night's show.
Alex Lambert crying is going to be one of the memorable events on the show. It was unscripted, broke the mold, and showed unguarded emotion. From Alex. Krystal. Lily. And Siobhan.
That's not bad for TV, not bad at all.
That the outcry of Idol fans has been so large proves that Lambert actually was an audience favorite - despite not collecting enough votes to remain on the show. That Lambert immediately spiraled into sadness and remained there for many minutes compounds the difficulty of this judge and audience favorite's early departure from the show. Even though he looked like a big sissy, his emotional reaction is overshadowed by the surprise element of the talent upset.
Clearly, Lilly Scott’s peers and fans do not watch American Idol or else she’d have been carried through. Krystal’s peers do not watch either, largely, but she is getting votes - as one of the few with raw talent, she should be getting votes.
All Alex Lambert has to do now is to prove that he is not a loser. He’ll not be touring, having fun and making money with his Idol friends. Hopefully, he’ll be doing something much cooler.
Fortunately, American Idol isn’t about making it to the end, anymore. I think it is about exposure - establishing a fan base by way of competing. Look at Chris Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson. They were not deemed winners, but have two of the most illustrious careers of all Idol contestants.
Fortunately, American Idol isn’t about making it to the end, anymore. I think it is about exposure - establishing a fan base by way of competing. Look at Chris Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson. They were not deemed winners, but have two of the most illustrious careers of all Idol contestants.
Of the remaining contestants, very few have Lily's individuality, eccentricity, marvelous style, and ability to carry an obscure or forgotten song. Very few have Todrick's brightness, vocal range and phenomenal dancing talent. The younger pageant-worthy contestants simply will not be able to fake Lambert's soul and sincerity. Sincerity cannot be faked; it is the one thing which cannot be, sincerity.
I’ll see this season out rooting for Didi, Siobhan, Lee and Michael. After that, I don’t know. I’m starting to hope that I’ll be doing something much cooler next year, too.

No comments:
Post a Comment