The first stop, near the door, was a collection of antique silver. I'm an afficionado of the cheese plate, and a burgeoning entertainer. I picked up these butter knives and a spoon (all silver-plated) --
And I turned around and found this 3 piece set. Sugar bowl, creamer, and tray. Instantly, I pictured it sitting on a wooden table somewhere, filled with raw sugar and creamy milk, and looking handsome.
And then I found a stack of old sheet music. It was all so clever. Some of it was so silly I wished I could photograph it and post to Facebook instantly, but I had left my iPhone in the car. This one was too good to pass up: "It's the Smart Little Feller Who Stocked Up His Cellar That's Getting the Beautiful Girls."
Words: Grant Clarke. Music: Milton Ager. Copyright 1920. Check out the lyrics --
"Oh you won't satisfy them/ with presents you buy them
It isn't for presents they pine
Once they wanted a guy/ for the rocks he could buy
But now it's the guy/ with the old Rock and Rye
You may live in a palace/ but Annette and Alice
Will pass up on Dukes and the Earls
For some guy in a shanty/ with lots of Chianti
He's getting the beautiful girls
Oh, you beautiful girls.
I'd love to hear someone play this on a piano!
Anyway - my total was less than $20.




No comments:
Post a Comment