I frequent a website featuring street fashion photography, popular among the fashion world. It occurred to me today how frequently I have seen a photograph of a person with a cigarette carelessly between two fingers, as if an accessory -- much like a belt, a hat. This person is usually European, drop dead gorgeous, may be older but is often times younger. This person is cool. Confident. Stylish. Self-aware. Or is he?
I have not been affected by a glamorous image of cigarette smokers. There is an image that reached me much sooner, and it came to me in my youth. This is an image of a person very, very dear to me, who has been addicted to nicotine ever since I can remember. An addiction of heavy smoking that stains teeth, fingernails, and fingerprints a shade of yellow. The lungs, a former pink, are aged black. An addiction that comes with a cough that is chronic, has texture and layers, and is never just a single cough. It is a coughing fit. It is the body simultaneously needing and rejecting the nicotine.
Ironically, I have suffered from asthma from a very young age. I've not had the luxury of experimentation, of casual smoking. When I was five years old, I spent time in a hospital tent so that I could breathe fresh oxygen, free from pollutants. I remember using my Etch-A-Sketch but forbidden to shake it, because the physical activity was just enough to make me lose my breath. My older cousin Donna sat with me and shook the Etch-A-Sketch to reset it. About five years later, I went to the shore with my father and my brother. We’d forgotten to pack an inhaler or any asthma medication, and I had an asthma attack. I can still remember my father’s anger and fear as we waited for a prescription so that he could go to a pharmacy and get my medication. I played basketball in middle school but it didn’t last. I loved the sport but I couldn’t handle the running. I played soccer in high school, it was my favorite sport. I quit because I couldn’t run. To this day, the following induce breathing problems: animals, dust, exercise, perfume, pollen, smoke. I practice yoga and have become quite good at it. My weaknesses gave way to my strengths.
I am deeply saddened, however, that I must watch my father slowly kill himself with cigarettes.
If you are reading this, and you are a smoker, do me and yourself a favor.
Please quit.
Image: The Sartorialist

No comments:
Post a Comment