There are several arguments for why the suicide rate among minors seems to be rising. I imagine that social networking and the internet play a huge role. It's not violent video games and films. There's a sharp difference in violent role playing games and violence in real life.
This e-mail came to me today and I'd like to share it:
----
Dear Parents,
I was saddened to learn that bullying has claimed yet another innocent child. It was reported on the news that an 11 yr. old child committed suicide after being subjected to bullying. I found it equally disheartening how the commentators suggested handling the problem of bullying. They talked about going to teachers, friends, school administrators, and counselors. Their methods, like the prevailing philosophy on solving the problem of bullying, are ineffective and inherently flawed.
The flaw is that these “solutions” entail third party intervention. A third party (friends, teachers, the principal, etc.) is supposed to intervene and somehow magically restrain the bully. This will never happen. Teachers, friends, and school administrators will not be there all the time. When a victim of bullying relies on a third party to solve his/her problems, he/she only becomes a greater victim.
The one and only truly effective solution to bullying, is to EMPOWER THE VICTIM. The intended victim of bullying can be empowered by instilling confidence within the person that he/she can defend themselves in any situation. Confidence is the bully’s most fearsome rival. When confidence replaces fear, bullies are promptly deterred. A former President of our country would often talk about “Peace through strength.” His idea was to have a strong military not necessarily to defeat our nation’s enemies, but TO DETER THEM FROM ATTACKING IN THE FIRST PLACE.
This philosophy must serve as the foundation for any effective anti-bullying program. Needless to say, STRONG, CONFIDENT CHILDREN DO NOT GET BULLIED. Our program of self defense training empowers children with the confidence necessary to resist bullies. When children are empowered with the knowledge and skills to defend themselves, they carry themselves with an air of confidence. By projecting this air of confidence, would-be bullies know to back off.
The negative effects of bullying can last a lifetime. Please do not allow your child to become a victim. If you are concerned that your child is the victim of Bullying bring him/her to your nearest Tiger Schulmann’s MMA Center, for a complimentary lesson.
CLICK HERE NOW TO GET YOUR COMPLIMENTARY LESSON
Sincerely,
Master Tiger Schulmann
---- |
Just as with teaching young people to drive, we can only help what we can help. We can follow the rules and stay within the lines, but can never anticipate everything that will be thrown at us. I experienced a tragic loss of a friend in college who survived cancer, became a celebrated body builder, only to be fatally struck by an unlicensed driver who was traveling the wrong way on the road. These things happen without rhyme or reason, every day. People testing their boundaries, failing to respect common sense... much like people who are intentionally hurtful, disrespectful.
In institutions such as school and work, we interact with a wide variety of people. Sociopaths and psychopaths are among us, though they do not always lash out. All we can do is take care of ourselves and each other and be aware.
I've not studied martial arts, but it's never too late to learn. I feel the urge to buy a gun and learn how to use it. I am very aware of home intrusions, robberies, carjackings, assaults. I myself was once the victim of indecent assault. It happened when I was very young, and I was someone's child. Once you have that security taken from you, you never, ever forget what it feels like to be outside of your own circle of safety.
But I do believe that we can be weapons, ourselves, without having to carry a weapon. This sentiment is more for myself than it is for anyone else. I need to act on this and start learning. What about you? What about your child?
No comments:
Post a Comment