21 January 2010

25 Years of City Lights

The sad inevitable has hit - today my friend Seth shared an article from today's Daily Collegian "After 25 years, City Lights will be closing its doors for good." Read more here. 


I call it "inevitable" because if the independent music stores are not taken over by digital files and music stores, they might be taken over by corporate stores. The magic of the independent record shop is what I want to remember.

I worked above City Lights: served coffee and italian ice at Metro.  I often watched Greg's customers saunter down the steps and saunter back up, holding little bags with CDs, or clutching vinyl with two hands.  No matter what those patrons were buying, they headed downstairs with a sense of purpose and direction, and they emerged happy.


City Lights was a huge part of my college experience, like many of my peers with expendable incomes and curious ears.  City Lights is where I purchased Elliot Smith's final project, discovered Otis Redding, and Sufjan Stevens, among many others. This music provided the soundtrack during our walks across the sprawling Old Main lawn, our rides on The Loop, our study sessions in the dorms, and the music at our parties. 



His store was aptly named for the Charlie Chaplin flick, City Lights.  It was small, but not too small.  If he didn't have what you wanted, he'd get it for you.  He's even been known to sell albums from his private collection.


Greg had a wealth of knowledge that he was happy to share with his customers.  He saw Ryan Adams play at Zeno's, and he was there for the Sub Pop showcase too (Fruit Bats, Chad Van Gaalen, Two Gallants.)  I believe he made an effort to check out all of the good shows that played in town.  If he saw you cruising the soul section, there was a good chance that soon the store music would reflect your interest.  He didn't miss a thing, and that was so cool.


The storefront, tucked under street level, may soon be a memory. But what a good, exciting, fulfilling memory it is. My very best to you, Mr. Gabbard.  Thank you for being there.

No comments: