05 May 2011

Mujahidin

I wrote this poem years ago, but no more than 10 years ago. It was inspired by the complex position of the United States in relation to the Soviet/Afghan war and the war post-9/11.  It's about a faceless, shifting figure of an Afghan fighter, sometimes an ally, and sometimes an enemy. Adding to the irony is the fact that the most recognizable leader of the most polarized faction is now physically faceless, I feel compelled to share the following.


In pockets of our country, there are hypersensitive, everyday Americans who react strongly to calls to patriotism, spreading stories rooted in truth about horrors - perpetrated by 'them' -  that have been documented 'over there.' As a sensitive person myself, I was really disturbed by the Rolling Stone article about the U.S. soldiers who dismembered civilians and collected trophies. And I can't imagine what we look like to them. War is hell, but it's unavoidable.




"Mujahidin"



Of this discourse, sing to me
Actions battled ‘cross the seas
My terror,
Watchman mujahidin

In the night, committing deeds unseen
Of this most distressing tragedy

Embattled, the land’s viscosity,
The airy, nymphs
Do not offer virginity
The soul does not catch
the tree of Eternity.
O, warrior,
Tell me you cannot see
This most horrible duality

His, and their voices circle
Of this Unspoken mockery,
O, mujahidin,
now I see
How terror ever came to be
of the callosity
My fingers bleed.

My forsaken, mujahidin.

(c) LW

1 comment:

jral0ha said...

do you have an poem archive? very interesting work keep it up!