22 April 2010

Thank You

Two words: it's very simple.  But the sentiment behind the words is much more, evoking affirmations when expected and most pleasant reactions when unexpected.  The words are powerful, much like "I love you," though used more commonly.


K and I went to a local grocery store to eat dinner before hitting an art show downtown.  The store is upscale, with a preferable selection of items.  The staff are noticeably friendly and helpful, and have demonstrated this to me every time possible.  But I was not expecting what happened last Saturday evening.


I had picked up a latte - I'd been craving one for days.  We checked out together and I pointed the cashier to the price code on my paper cup.  There were not many registers open at the time, and this particular cashier was evidently busy.  "Thank you," she said, looking me in the eye.  Her voice had an inflection in it, as if surprised.  Her tone was enthusiastically grateful.


Immediately, I experienced a feeling of happy contentment.  I felt my body warming, as if reacting to this simple phrase.  That she took a quick moment to connect with me was unexpectedly meaningful.


We acknowledge other drivers on the road for allowing us to pass or enter traffic.  We hold the door for fellow patrons who are just behind us at an entrance.  Cordially recognizing one another is a very pleasant, natural way to brighten the day of someone else - and by doing it, brightening our own as well.



Image: Getty Images

No comments: